Hundreds of Somali families evicted near airport
Mogadishu: Hundreds of poor Somali families are being forcibly evicted from their homes near the airport, say witnesses.
Asha Madey said on Friday that she spent the night in the open with her seven children after their two-room house was destroyed by security personnel with bulldozers.
Police spokesman Abdulahi Hassan Barise says the plan will continue until threats to Mogadishu`s main airport are eliminated. The targeted area was a former air force base and is about 100 yards (meters) from the airport`s fence.
Human rights groups say the families — who squatted the idle land — have no place to go.
Somalia`s fragile government is battling Islamists who usually fire mortars from residential areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says