Hundreds riot in south-western China, dozens injured: Reports
Hong Kong: A mass riot in south-western China
left dozens injured after angry villagers took to the streets
in protest against a road construction project, Hong Kong
media reported on Thursday.
Hundreds of villagers in southern Yunnan province clashed
with police and construction workers during the riot in
Zhaotong City on Tuesday, Hong Kong broadcaster RTHK said.
Hong Kong cable television today showed footage of the
villagers armed with shovels and sticks overturning vehicles,
including police cars, and smashing car windshields before
setting them on fire.
The riot left more than 20 people injured and 48 cars
destroyed, RTHK said, adding that the villagers were unhappy
with the amount of compensation they had received for
government-acquired land used in the project.
The broadcaster quoted Zhaotong City authorities as
saying a special team had been mobilised to handle the matter,
which they said was under control.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals