Hungary declares emergency over sludge spill
Budapest: Hungary declared a state of emergency in three western counties on Tuesday due to spill of toxic alumina sludge which has killed three people and injured more than 100 others, the news agency MTI reported.
The counties of Veszprem, Gyor-Moson-Sopron and Vas were covered by the state of emergency.
The disaster began on Monday when the dam of a sludge reservoir burst at the huge Ajkai Timfoldgyar Zrt plant, owned by MAL Zrt, flooding parts of three villages.
State Secretary for the Environment Ministry Zoltan Illes, who visited Kolontar on Tuesday, described the incident as the worst-ever chemical accident in Hungary.
The National Disaster Unit (NDU) denied a report that the sludge reservoir`s dam had broken at a second point, saying crews were pouring plaster into a nearby river to help neutralise the spill.
"We have poured multiple tonnes of plaster into the Marcal River and hope to stem the toxic flow that way. The toxicity of the sludge moderates with every kilometre," NDU spokeswoman Gyorgyi Tottos said.
"We have three people confirmed dead and another person who has not been confirmed to have died from the flood," he said.
The ambulance service had reported 116 injured, eight seriously and one critically and the injured transferred to nearby hospitals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen