Hungary machete attack: 4 killed, 3 injured
Kulcs: Hungarian special forces on Friday arrested a 24-year-old man suspected of killing four members of his family and wounding three in a machete attack.
Jutast Csanad Horvath was hospitalised with serious injuries after being caught hiding in a bush holding the weapon, the head of the Counter-terrorism Unit told journalists at the scene, state news agency MTI reported.
The attack took place around 8:00 am local time in Kulcs, a village of 2,500 inhabitants on the Danube in central Hungary about 60 kilometres from the capital Budapest.
Horvath is suspected of murdering his father, his grandparents and his older brother in a family dispute. His mother, sister and another close relative were badly wounded and hospitalised.
"The tragedy occurred in an ordinary family", Kulcs Mayor Csaba Kiss said, adding that they did not have close ties with the local community. Horvath`s father worked in the construction business and had served a jail term for fraud related to state benefits.
The Counter-terrorism Unit was called in after rumours that hostages had been taken but police spokesman Laszlo Garamvolgyi said these were unfounded.
Some 135 police officers along with boats and helicopters took part in the hunt for the killer after a neighbour saw a man with a bleeding head staggering out the front gate of the family house, MTI said.
Seven people were found badly wounded in the house but four died before they could be taken to hospital. A 57-year-old man was in stable condition after an emergency operation, the hospital in the nearby town of Szekesfehervar said.
The incident came some three weeks after a 21-year-old man stabbed his mother to death in Tatabanya, a town 55 kilometres from Budapest, and attacked his father before throwing himself out of a 10th floor window. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’