Hungary machete attack: 4 killed, 3 injured
Kulcs: Hungarian special forces on Friday arrested a 24-year-old man suspected of killing four members of his family and wounding three in a machete attack.
Jutast Csanad Horvath was hospitalised with serious injuries after being caught hiding in a bush holding the weapon, the head of the Counter-terrorism Unit told journalists at the scene, state news agency MTI reported.
The attack took place around 8:00 am local time in Kulcs, a village of 2,500 inhabitants on the Danube in central Hungary about 60 kilometres from the capital Budapest.
Horvath is suspected of murdering his father, his grandparents and his older brother in a family dispute. His mother, sister and another close relative were badly wounded and hospitalised.
"The tragedy occurred in an ordinary family", Kulcs Mayor Csaba Kiss said, adding that they did not have close ties with the local community. Horvath`s father worked in the construction business and had served a jail term for fraud related to state benefits.
The Counter-terrorism Unit was called in after rumours that hostages had been taken but police spokesman Laszlo Garamvolgyi said these were unfounded.
Some 135 police officers along with boats and helicopters took part in the hunt for the killer after a neighbour saw a man with a bleeding head staggering out the front gate of the family house, MTI said.
Seven people were found badly wounded in the house but four died before they could be taken to hospital. A 57-year-old man was in stable condition after an emergency operation, the hospital in the nearby town of Szekesfehervar said.
The incident came some three weeks after a 21-year-old man stabbed his mother to death in Tatabanya, a town 55 kilometres from Budapest, and attacked his father before throwing himself out of a 10th floor window. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow