Hurricane forces UN`s NY office to remain closed
United Nations: The UN has said the world body`s headquarters in New York will remain closed for the third day Wednesday "due to the impact of Hurricane Sandy".
"Due to the impact of Hurricane Sandy, United Nations offices in New York will remain closed on Wednesday, 31 October 2012," Xinhua quoted the UN`s announcement issued through an official e-mail. "All meetings at headquarters have been cancelled."
Farhan Haq, the UN associate spokesperson also confirmed to Xinhua the UN office`s closure Wednesday.
The UN headquarters in New York was closed Monday and Tuesday as Hurricane Sandy, a massive storm described by forecasters as one of the largest ever that hit the US, lashed its East Coast.
UN meetings involving Latin American presidents were cancelled Monday.
The power was cut off in lower Manhattan, few blocks from the UN headquarters on the east side of the downtown area of New York City, and the city government has suspended bus and subway operations in Manhattan.
Hurricane Sandy Tuesday left a vast trail of destruction killing at least 33 people and leaving about 7.5 million people without power on the US East Coast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?