Hurricane Sandy ‘could be devastating’: US Coast Guards
Washington: More than 60 million Americans are braced up for the impact of ‘Hurricane Sandy’ after forecasters said that it could be the biggest storm ever to hit the US mainland.
Coast Guards predicted that Hurricane Sandy ‘could be bad or devastating’ bringing ‘life-threatening’ flooding.
The enormous weather system, called ‘Frankenstorm’ arriving on the eve of Halloween, is predicted to be of historic proportions when it makes landfall on the east coast.
According to the Telegraph, President Barack Obama said the storm was “serious and big,” and also warned that it was “unique” because it was moving very slowly.
Obama visited the headquarters of the Federal Emergency Management Agency in Washington for an update and urged Americans to “pull together”.
“This hasn’t hit landfall yet so we don’t yet know where it’s going to hit, where we are going to see the biggest impact,” he said.
“That’s why it’s important that we respond big and respond fast. We have to take this seriously,” Obama added.
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg ordered the evacuation of 375,000 people, including the coastal zones of Coney Island and Staten Island, and the closure of schools.
According to the report, New York’s rail, subway and bus services, which are used by 8.5 million people daily, are being suspended amid fears that tunnels could flood.
The storm is expected to hit an 800-mile-wide swathe of north-east America that includes the cities of New York, Washington, Boston, Baltimore and Philadelphia, bringing 80mph winds, the report said.
The National Hurricane Centre warned of a “life-threatening storm surge” that could cause record flooding on the coast from Delaware to southern New England.
States of emergency have been declared by governors from North Carolina to Connecticut, a state that has been warned to expect its worst flooding in 70 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt