Hurricane Sandy damage cost New York $42 bn: US
Washington: New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said that Superstorm Sandy caused up to 42 billion dollars in devastation in the state.
He said that the state and New York City will make big requests for disaster aid from the federal government.
The cost includes 32 billion dollars for repairs and restoration, and also an additional accounting of nine billion dollars for mitigation of damage and for preventive measures for the next disastrous storm, CBS News reports.
He met with the New York’s congressional delegation on Monday to discuss the new figures that he said is ‘less than a wish list’.
Previously, administration officials had estimated in early November that the governor would request at least 30 billion dollars, the report said.
Forecasting firm IHS Global Insight estimated that the storm would cost about 20 billion dollars in damages and 10 to 30 billion dollars in lost businesses.
Another forecasting firm, Eqecat, also predicted it would cost as much as 50 billion dollars in total economic losses, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Watch 'Kala Chashma' teaser: Check out Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra's desi swag
- Navjot Singh Sidhu says he quit Rajya Sabha because he was told to stay away from Punjab
- Missing IAF AN32: Co-pilot Pankaj Nandel's family hopeful of his return
- Lifestyle and home remedies to deal with panic attacks!
- Quran desecration case: AAP MLA Naresh Yadav sent to 2-day police custody