Hurricane Sandy damage cost New York $42 bn: US
Washington: New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said that Superstorm Sandy caused up to 42 billion dollars in devastation in the state.
He said that the state and New York City will make big requests for disaster aid from the federal government.
The cost includes 32 billion dollars for repairs and restoration, and also an additional accounting of nine billion dollars for mitigation of damage and for preventive measures for the next disastrous storm, CBS News reports.
He met with the New York’s congressional delegation on Monday to discuss the new figures that he said is ‘less than a wish list’.
Previously, administration officials had estimated in early November that the governor would request at least 30 billion dollars, the report said.
Forecasting firm IHS Global Insight estimated that the storm would cost about 20 billion dollars in damages and 10 to 30 billion dollars in lost businesses.
Another forecasting firm, Eqecat, also predicted it would cost as much as 50 billion dollars in total economic losses, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Pakistan forces seal MQM party headquarters after TV station attack
- Suspended AAP MP Dharamvira Gandhi floats new front
- Now, get your email address in Hindi
- None of your concern, says Indian Army after China's warning over deployment of BrahMos missile in Arunachal
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam