Hurricane Sandy death toll rises to 65 in Caribbean
Port-Au-Prince: As Americans brace for Hurricane Sandy, the Caribbean is still suffering.
Officials say storm-related death toll has risen to 65 as of early today. Haitian authorities have reported 51 of those deaths. Continued rains have added to the initial jolt of the hurricane.
The country is especially vulnerable due to its ramshackle housing and flood-prone hillsides, as well as the fact 370,000 people are still living in emergency shelters after a catastrophic 2010 earthquake.
Deaths also have been reported in Cuba, Jamaica, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY