Hurricane Sandy may leave NY transit system out of service
Washington: New York’s flooded transit system could be out of service for four days after the superstorm ‘Hurricane Sandy’ slammed into the city, blocking major tunnels and subway stations, MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) officials have said.
“There’s no chance mass transit will be back in time,” the New York Post quoted Mayor Bloomberg, as saying.
According to the paper, most major bridges and tunnels are expected to remain closed or under speed restrictions though the morning, and airlines will not resume flights until winds have died down.
Officials also worry that the underground pump system designed to remove water could short-circuit, and it could take anywhere from 14 hours to four days to clear water from the tunnels, the paper said.
At least 10 deaths were blamed on the storm, which has forced President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney to cancel their campaign appearances at the very height of the race, with just over a week to go before Election Day.
The ‘Frankenstorm’ created much devastation after it smacked the big US cities of the Northeast corridor - Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston, and knocked out power to at least 3.1 million people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands