Hush up mass killings, Russian leader tells media
Moscow: Russian politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky, leader of the nationalist LDPR party, has called on the media to stop covering mass killings in order to avoid sparking copycat incidents.
Zhirinovsky`s appeal came a day after an armed man in the southwest city of Belgorod shot at least six people dead.
The killer is on the run, and the incident has been headline news in the Russian media.
"I`ve always said: close this information. You are spreading mass murder," Zhirinovsky told reporters.
"They (criminals) see that the whole world is in a fuss, and they want to be part of this process," he said.
He cited the bombings at the Boston Marathon which left three people dead and 180 injured.
"We will never stop such crimes, because there is an unhealthy vanity to die in a way that would make everyone talk about you for a week, two or three," he said.
People get killed every day, he said, but only incidents where many people die at once are covered by the media in detail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery