I Coast charges 58 pro-Gbagbo Army officers
Abidjan: Ivory Coast has charged 58 army officers close to ousted president Laurent Gbagbo and is holding 40 of them in custody, a military justice official said on Thursday.
Ange Kessi, the west African country`s military prosecutor, told reporters that 58 army officers from Gbagbo`s regime were charged over crimes committed during the crisis that erupted after November polls when Gbagbo refused to concede defeat to Alassane Ouattara.
Among the top pro-Gbagbo officers detained is Brunot Dogbo Ble, former commander of the feared Republican Guard.
The detained officers are being held in Abidjan and in the northern town of Korhogo. Some of them were arrested several weeks ago and have been detained in military camps, Ange Kessi said.
They face a raft of charges, including "illegal arrest, murder, concealing corpses, rape, theft, insubordination, arbitrary detention, embezzlement, recruiting mercenaries..."
The indictments follow the charging of 37 political figures close to Gbagbo and come as Ouattara extended a hand of reconciliation to his former foes, a gesture met with suspicion by the former strongman`s allies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!