I don’t even suffer from a headache: Fidel Castro
Havana: Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro said he doesn`t even suffer from a headache in an article he published in state-media on Monday criticising those who spread rumours he was on his death bed.
The article is accompanied by photos taken by son Alex Castro that show the 86-year-old revolutionary icon standing outside near some trees wearing a checked shirt and cowboy hat, including one in which he is seen reading Friday`s copy of the Communist Party newspaper Granma.
"I don`t even remember what a headache feels like," Castro claims, adding that he was releasing the photos to show "how dishonest" the rumour mongers have been.
The article was published on the state-run Cubadebate Web site early today. It is the latest evidence the former Cuban president is alive and seemingly well after more than a week of intense speculation he was seriously ill.
Twitter and other social media sites have been abuzz with claims of Castro`s demise.
Yesterday, a visiting former Venezuelan vice president released a photo of a meeting he said he had the previous day with Castro, and a hotel manager also present for part of the meeting claimed Castro`s health was "magnificent."
In the article today, Castro says he has been dealing with disinformation about Cuba since the Bay of Pigs invasion of 1961.
He criticised Western media he said are in the pocket of the rich, and singled out Spain`s ABC newspaper for publishing comments by a Venezuelan doctor who claimed to have information that Castro had suffered a stroke and had weeks to live.
Castro has been out of the public eye since March, when he received visiting Pope Benedict XVI. He also stopped writing his once constant opinion pieces, called "Reflections," the last of which was published in June.
In the article Castro explains that he chose to stop the opinion pieces of his own accord, not because he was too sick to continue them.
"I stopped publishing Reflections because it was really not my role to take up pages in our press which are needed for other work the country requires," he wrote. Castro stepped down in 2006 following a severe illness, handing power to his brother Raul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM