I want ‘poor Church for the poor’: Pope Francis
Vatican City: Pope Francis on Saturday said he aspires for “a poor Church for the poor", as per BBC.
While explaining the reason to choose the name `Francis` after the 12-13th Century St Francis of Assisi, he said St Francis represented "poverty and peace".
While addressing a press which included journalists from across the world, Pope Francis said, "How I would like a poor Church for the poor!"
"Francis of Assisi for me is a man of poverty, a man of peace, a man who loved and protected creation. Right now our relations with Creation are not going very well," he added.
Earlier, on Wednesday, Francis had described the emotional moments immediately after his election in a secret conclave in the Sistine Chapel.
Pope Francis took over from Benedict XVI, who abdicated last month.
The 76-year-old, former Argentine cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was the surprise choice of cardinals meeting in Rome who were in a procedure to choose a new head of the Church.
BBC quoted Pope as saying: “I got inspired to take the name Francis by a Brazilian colleague, after it was announced that I am the next Pope.”
"He hugged me and kissed me and told me not to forget the poor. And that word went in here," he said, pointing to his head.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack