I want ‘poor Church for the poor’: Pope Francis
Vatican City: Pope Francis on Saturday said he aspires for “a poor Church for the poor", as per BBC.
While explaining the reason to choose the name `Francis` after the 12-13th Century St Francis of Assisi, he said St Francis represented "poverty and peace".
While addressing a press which included journalists from across the world, Pope Francis said, "How I would like a poor Church for the poor!"
"Francis of Assisi for me is a man of poverty, a man of peace, a man who loved and protected creation. Right now our relations with Creation are not going very well," he added.
Earlier, on Wednesday, Francis had described the emotional moments immediately after his election in a secret conclave in the Sistine Chapel.
Pope Francis took over from Benedict XVI, who abdicated last month.
The 76-year-old, former Argentine cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was the surprise choice of cardinals meeting in Rome who were in a procedure to choose a new head of the Church.
BBC quoted Pope as saying: “I got inspired to take the name Francis by a Brazilian colleague, after it was announced that I am the next Pope.”
"He hugged me and kissed me and told me not to forget the poor. And that word went in here," he said, pointing to his head.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state