`I was beaten for being a Muslim`
Sydney: A Sydney schoolboy, Hamid Mamozai, has claimed that he was beaten and verbally abused by over 20 fellow students for being a Muslim.
Mamozai, 15, was allegedly thrashed over a dozen times, and racially abused by Asquith Boys` High School students, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
``[They were saying] hit him more, hit him more, he deserves it, you terrorists, go back to where you came from, go blow something up,`` Mamozai said.
Hamid, who became unconscious, was taken to hospital but suffered no serious injuries.
Hamid`s sister, Najia, said he was ``emotionally and mentally sick`` of suffering racial abuse at the school for the past two years.
His mother, Hosna, said the school did not pay heed to her complaints.
``I just want to know why this is happening, why the principal doesn`t care that students are being bullied, why don`t they stop it? I want other parents to know why this is happening,`` she said.
A Department of Education spokesperson said one student had been suspended for 20 days, and a police probe has been launched into the case.
The school has also arranged a counselling session with Hamid and his family, he added.
``Racism is not tolerated by Asquith Boys` High School, which disciplines students engaged in such behaviour and supports students subjected to it,`` the spokesman said.
``Disciplinary action has been taken against students who have previously used racist language to the injured student. Due to the police investigation, it is inappropriate to comment further on the incident at this stage”, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram