`I was beaten for being a Muslim`
Sydney: A Sydney schoolboy, Hamid Mamozai, has claimed that he was beaten and verbally abused by over 20 fellow students for being a Muslim.
Mamozai, 15, was allegedly thrashed over a dozen times, and racially abused by Asquith Boys` High School students, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
``[They were saying] hit him more, hit him more, he deserves it, you terrorists, go back to where you came from, go blow something up,`` Mamozai said.
Hamid, who became unconscious, was taken to hospital but suffered no serious injuries.
Hamid`s sister, Najia, said he was ``emotionally and mentally sick`` of suffering racial abuse at the school for the past two years.
His mother, Hosna, said the school did not pay heed to her complaints.
``I just want to know why this is happening, why the principal doesn`t care that students are being bullied, why don`t they stop it? I want other parents to know why this is happening,`` she said.
A Department of Education spokesperson said one student had been suspended for 20 days, and a police probe has been launched into the case.
The school has also arranged a counselling session with Hamid and his family, he added.
``Racism is not tolerated by Asquith Boys` High School, which disciplines students engaged in such behaviour and supports students subjected to it,`` the spokesman said.
``Disciplinary action has been taken against students who have previously used racist language to the injured student. Due to the police investigation, it is inappropriate to comment further on the incident at this stage”, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days