I was loyal to Rudd until leadership challenge: Gillard
Melbourne: A month after being ousted as Australian Prime Minister, Julia Gillard Friday said she was loyal to her colleague Kevin Rudd right until the day she challenged him for the leadership in June 2010.
Gillard, 51, Australia`s first woman Prime Minister said her behaviour was in contrast to Rudd`s camp in the lead up to the latest challenge.
Gillard who will retire from politics at the election, was still staunchly of the belief that she was the right person to lead the party to election victory right up until her ouster.
"I wouldn`t continue if I didn`t have the sense that I`ve got the better capacity, the better ability to do it," she had said.
Gillard, in an interview to `The Monthly` magazine, said she was trying her best to get the government back on track right up until the day she decided to challenge Rudd.
Gillard further commented that she believed she would have been treated differently had she been black.
She said some of the derogatory remarks made about her would have been the downfall of her opponents had she been indigenous.
In her speech last month, Gillard had said she was privileged to have been the nation`s first female prime minister but said it partly explained her political demise.
In response to a recent controversial Radio interview where Gillard was asked by a Perth-based Radio host if her partner Tim Mathieson was gay, Gillard said she enjoyed his company.
"I get the benefit of company that`s about me as a person," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what