IAEA chief says to meet Iran FM, wants cooperation
Bogota: The UN nuclear chief said on Wednesday that he planned to meet with Iran`s foreign minister next week and that he was "quite concerned" over plans by Tehran to triple uranium production capacity.
Yukiya Amano, director general of the UN International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said in the Colombian capital, Bogota, that he planned to meet Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi next week, but had no firm details.
"The most important message for Iran is that they need to fully implement the safeguard agreement and other relevant obligations. Further cooperation is needed to restore the confidence of the international community," he said.
"We are quite concerned about that," Amano said, confirming that the IAEA had received a "very simple" letter from Iran about the plans.
Iran announced last month it would shift its production of higher-grade uranium to an underground bunker and triple output capacity in a defiant move that further fuelled Western unease about Tehran`s intentions.
Western powers suspect Iran is seeking to develop a nuclear weapons capability while Tehran rejects the charge, saying its nuclear program is aimed at generating electricity.
Iran`s refusal to halt enrichment has led to four rounds of UN sanctions on the major oil producer, as well tighter US and European Union restrictions.
Iran`s determination to press ahead with a nuclear program suggests that the sanctions are so far failing to force the Islamic state to back down in the long-running dispute over its atomic aims.
Amano reiterated he would consider accepting an invitation to visit Iran but stressed it would have to yield concrete results: "For now I don`t see, unfortunately, progress."
On Syria -- which the IAEA`s board reported to the Security Council in early June for covert atomic work -- Amano said that there had been no "concrete progress".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video