IAEA delegation to visit Iran: Envoy
Tehran: A high-level IAEA delegation is to
visit Iran from January 29-31 to discuss issues it has over
Tehran`s nuclear programme, Iran`s envoy to the UN atomic
watchdog said Tuesday according to the Fars news agency.
The delegation, to be led by chief inspector Herman
Nackaerts, will "negotiate and discuss questions raised by the
IAEA," Ali Ashgar Soltanieh was quoted as saying.
Diplomats in Vienna, where the International Atomic
Energy Agency is headquartered, had already said Nackaerts and
the agency`s number two, Rafael Grossi, were going to visit
Iran late this month.
They had spoken of a visit starting around January 28 and
lasting into the first few days of February.
Soltanieh said the three-day visit finally agreed was "a
new sign of the transparency in Iran`s nuclear programme and
activities and in our interaction with the International
Atomic Energy Agency."
The trip comes at a moment of high international tensions
over Iran`s nuclear programme.
The IAEA issued a report in November expressing strong
suspicions -- but stopping just short of declaring them
verified -- that Iran was researching the development and
delivery of nuclear weapons.
The West, the United States at the fore, has subsequently
ratcheted up sanctions on Iran, threatening its ability to
export and get paid for its oil.
The European Union is expected next week to announce
additional measures said to include a ban on Iranian oil
IAEA diplomats said that, along with Nakaerts, who is
Belgian, and Grossi, an Argentine who is IAEA head Yukiya
Amano`s chief of staff, the delegation will include the
agency`s senior legal official Peri Lynne Johnson, a US
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow