IAEA delegation to visit Iran: Envoy
Tehran: A high-level IAEA delegation is to
visit Iran from January 29-31 to discuss issues it has over
Tehran`s nuclear programme, Iran`s envoy to the UN atomic
watchdog said Tuesday according to the Fars news agency.
The delegation, to be led by chief inspector Herman
Nackaerts, will "negotiate and discuss questions raised by the
IAEA," Ali Ashgar Soltanieh was quoted as saying.
Diplomats in Vienna, where the International Atomic
Energy Agency is headquartered, had already said Nackaerts and
the agency`s number two, Rafael Grossi, were going to visit
Iran late this month.
They had spoken of a visit starting around January 28 and
lasting into the first few days of February.
Soltanieh said the three-day visit finally agreed was "a
new sign of the transparency in Iran`s nuclear programme and
activities and in our interaction with the International
Atomic Energy Agency."
The trip comes at a moment of high international tensions
over Iran`s nuclear programme.
The IAEA issued a report in November expressing strong
suspicions -- but stopping just short of declaring them
verified -- that Iran was researching the development and
delivery of nuclear weapons.
The West, the United States at the fore, has subsequently
ratcheted up sanctions on Iran, threatening its ability to
export and get paid for its oil.
The European Union is expected next week to announce
additional measures said to include a ban on Iranian oil
IAEA diplomats said that, along with Nakaerts, who is
Belgian, and Grossi, an Argentine who is IAEA head Yukiya
Amano`s chief of staff, the delegation will include the
agency`s senior legal official Peri Lynne Johnson, a US
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India