IAEA report to reveal Iranian nuclear advances
London: A new report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is expected to say that Iran has rapidly increased the quantity of equipment at an underground uranium enrichment plant.
The report, expected to release on Thursday, will also point out that the country has not started using the new machinery to produce nuclear fuel.
The UN nuclear watchdog’s report will say that over 300 centrifuges have been installed at the fortified cavern at Fordow, near the city of Qom, the Guardian reports.
The report will say that the centrifuges are not yet spinning and the rate of uranium production has not risen since the last report in May.
According to the paper, the report will also highlight Tehran`s lack of cooperation with their investigation into alleged past Iranian nuclear weapons work.
Iran’s refusal to allow investigators into a suspect site at Parchin, where satellite images show buildings being bulldozed and covered with earth in what IAEA officials believe is an attempt to "sanitise" the area of incriminating trace elements, will also be mentioned in the report.
According to the paper, the last IAEA report in May said that 1,064 centrifuges had been installed in one of two enrichment halls in Fordow, each with a capacity of about 1,400, but less than 700 of the installed machines were in production.
Iran has now produced about 190kg of 20 percent enriched uranium, which would be enough for one nuclear warhead if further enriched, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city