IAEA says Iran installing new nuke equipment
London: Iran has started installing advanced centrifuge machines for enriching uranium at its nuclear plant at Natanz, the UN`s nuclear watchdog has said.
The IAEA said Iran has started to install about 180 advanced centrifuges at its Natanz nuclear plant, potentially a major upgrade in Iran`s nuclear programme.
Centrifuges are used to enrich uranium. Low-enriched uranium is used for civilian purposes. But higher-grade enriched uranium can be used as the material for an atomic bomb.
The Natanz facility, in central Iran, is at the heart of the country`s dispute with the UN`s watchdog.
According to the BBC, the US said if confirmed it would be ‘another provocative step’.
Western powers fear Tehran is seeking weapons technology, but Tehran says it is refining uranium only for peaceful energy purposes.
Iran says its enriched uranium will be used for reactor fuel and for medical and scientific purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video