IAEA says Iran installing new nuke equipment
London: Iran has started installing advanced centrifuge machines for enriching uranium at its nuclear plant at Natanz, the UN`s nuclear watchdog has said.
The IAEA said Iran has started to install about 180 advanced centrifuges at its Natanz nuclear plant, potentially a major upgrade in Iran`s nuclear programme.
Centrifuges are used to enrich uranium. Low-enriched uranium is used for civilian purposes. But higher-grade enriched uranium can be used as the material for an atomic bomb.
The Natanz facility, in central Iran, is at the heart of the country`s dispute with the UN`s watchdog.
According to the BBC, the US said if confirmed it would be ‘another provocative step’.
Western powers fear Tehran is seeking weapons technology, but Tehran says it is refining uranium only for peaceful energy purposes.
Iran says its enriched uranium will be used for reactor fuel and for medical and scientific purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra