IAEA won’t be `surprised` by North Korea nuke test
St Gallen: The United Nations nuclear chief said on Friday North Korea’s new nuclear test would not take him by surprise.
At a conference in the Swiss town of St Gallen, the director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Yukiya Amano, said: “We don`t have inspectors on the ground. We are following the situation carefully. We do not have particular knowledge or information but if a nuclear test takes place I would not be surprised.”
Last month, a source with close ties to Pyongyang and Beijing told a news agency that North Korea has almost completed preparations for a third nuclear test and has the capacity to carry it out "soon”.
“Soon. Preparations are almost complete," the source said when asked whether North Korea was planning to undertake a nuclear test.
The source has correctly predicted events in the past, telling about North Korea`s first nuclear test in 2006 days before it took place.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has warned North Korea against "further provocative measures”.
North Korea`s military has warned of imminent "special actions" that would reduce South Korea`s government to ashes within minutes.
North Korea attempted to launch a rocket on April 13 but it disintegrated.
Ban urged North Korea to fully observe UN Security Council resolutions which reflect the will of the international community. The resolutions imposed tough sanctions against the North and ban nuclear and missile tests.
Ban, a former South Korean foreign minister, said "any further provocative measures will not be desirable for the peace and stability of the Korean Peninsula”.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming