ICC asks UN to help arrest Sudan`s President
New York: Sudan`s refusal to arrest President Omar al-Bashir and three others accused of war crimes in Darfur is "a direct challenge" to the UN Security Council, and it should now consider asking all countries and regional organisations to carry out the arrests, the International Criminal Court`s chief prosecutor said on Tuesday.
Luis Moreno-Ocampo conceded that council discussions of other possibilities to arrest the four Sudanese, including seeking help from member states and regional bodies, "will be problematic”.
"But the victims will receive a clear message: They are not ignored," he said. "And the perpetrators will receive a clear message: There will be no impunity."
The court, set up in 2002 to prosecute the most senior perpetrators of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes from nations that cannot or will not put them on trial, has no police force of its own to arrest suspects. More than 100 countries that are parties to the Rome statute are required to arrest those sought by the tribunal but al-Bashir has travelled to friendly nations without being detained.
Darfur was plunged into turmoil in 2003, when ethnic African rebels took up arms against the Arab-dominated Sudanese government, whom they accused of discrimination. The Khartoum government is accused of retaliating by unleashing Arab militias on civilians — a charge the government denies.
The UN estimates 300,000 people have died and 2.7 million have been displaced in the conflict.
The Security Council authorised the court to investigate atrocities in Darfur in 2005, and it has issued an arrest warrant for the Sudanese President for allegedly orchestrating genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes in Darfur. South Kordofan Governor Ahmed Harun, militia leader Ali Kushayb and Defence Minister Abdelrahim Mohamed Hussein are accused of war crimes and crimes against humanity.
Sudan`s UN Ambassador Daffa-Alla Elhag Ali Osman condemned and denounced "in the strongest terms" Moreno-Ocampo`s call for the Security Council to consider other proposals to carry out the arrests. He accused the prosecutor of trying to incite the council against Sudan when it is trying to restore peace to Darfur, and he argued that the International Criminal Court has no jurisdiction in the vast western region.
While Sudan is not a party to the Rome statute that established the tribunal, Moreno-Ocampo has jurisdiction in Darfur because the Security Council asked him to investigate atrocities there.
In his briefing to the council, Moreno-Ocampo noted that at a previous briefing Sudan challenged the evidence against the accused. He said his office is prepared to discuss the evidence "in the courtroom before the judges”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly