ICC chief hopes Gaddafi will `be arrested` soon
Madrid: International Criminal Court
prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo, in an interview published
on Sunday said he hoped that embattled Libyan leader Muammar
Gaddafi "will be arrested" by his people in the coming weeks
on crimes against humanity charges.
"We hope that the arrest warrant (to face charges of
crimes against humanity) will be delivered soon and that
Gaddafi will be detained by the Libyan people. That`s what we
are expecting," he told the Spanish daily El Mundo.
Moreno-Ocampo said he was hopeful ICC judges would
rule on Gaddafi`s arrest in the coming weeks.
"We are working on the assumption he will be arrested
by his people, by members of his regime" and if "that is not
possible by the (rebel) National Transitional Council," he
Last month, the ICC prosecutor said he would seek
arrest warrants for three people considered most responsible
for crimes against humanity in Libya, Gaddafi, his son Seif
Al-Islam and Libyan intelligence chief Abdallah Al-Senoussi.
Libya`s deputy foreign minister Khaled Kaaim retorted
that Tripoli was "not concerned" by ICC decisions since it was
not a party to the Rome Statute that founded the ICC.
But Moreno-Ocamp argued that Libya is bound to
cooperate with the court as demanded by a UN Security Council
resolution adopted last February 26.
And he maintained that Libya would be legally required
to act on the arrest warrants if they are approved by the ICC
Established in 2002, the ICC is the world`s first
permanent, treaty-based court set up to try those accused of
war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide if the
accused`s own country cannot or will not do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum