ICC elects African as new chief prosecutor
United Nations: International Criminal Court
member states on Monday unanimously elected Fatou Bensouda of
Gambia as the new chief prosecutor of the main genocide and
war crimes tribunal.
Bensouda said it was "humbling" to be named to the post,
which has become one of the most important international legal
positions with the growth of international criminal justice
over the past decade.
Bensouda, is currently the ICC deputy prosecutor and a
former justice minister in Gambia. She will take over next
June from Luis Moreno-Ocampo who sought the genocide warrant
against Sudan`s Omar al-Bashir and crimes against humanity
case against late Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
The new prosecutor was elected by consensus at the annual
meeting of the ICC`s 120 state parties at the UN headquarters.
Bensouda said she was particularly proud of the support
given by Africa.
"The African continent has again shown its support and
its engagement in favour of international justice and the
court," Bensouda said after the election.
"But let me stress: I will be the prosecutor of all the
states parties in an independent and impartial manner," she
All of the ICC`s formal investigations are in Africa but
many of the continent`s leaders say Africa is unfairly
targeted and an African Union summit this year decided not to
carry out warrants issued against African leaders.
Bensouda called the ICC, set up by the 2002 Rome statute,
"a truly unique institution.
She said the court was "changing international relations
Bensouda will face immediate challenges with Bashir still
no closer to answering the charges against him over the
conflict in Darfur.
She must also handle a sensitive case over whether Seif
al-Islam, the son of Gaddafi, is tried in Libya or at the ICC
in The Hague.
Bensouda was one of 52 candidates interviewed for the
post. African nations had pressed for Bensouda`s appointment,
however, and many analysts have expressed the hope that her
nomination will increase the tribunal`s acceptance on the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered