ICC turns a `blind eye` to western crimes: Mugabe
New York: Zimbabwe`s outspoken leader Robert Mugabe accused the International Criminal Court on Thursday of turning a "blind eye" to crimes by Western leaders.
Mugabe, 87, told the UN General Assembly that the ICC has no credibility in Africa.
The court "seems to exist only for alleged offenders of the developing world, the majority of them Africans”, he said.
"The leaders of the powerful western states guilty of international crime, like Bush and Blair, are routinely given the blind eye. Such selective justice has eroded the credibility of the ICC on the African continent."
George W Bush, the former US president, and ex-British prime minister Tony Blair have faced criticism from activists for their role as architects of the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
The ICC has issued charges against Sudan`s President Omar al-Bashir for genocide in Darfur. Libya`s former strongman Muammar Gaddafi is also wanted by the ICC. African countries regularly criticise the focus on their continent.
Mugabe also blasted the NATO air raids in Libya, justified by UN resolutions on protecting civilians after Gaddafi’s crackdown on protests.
"Yesterday, it was Iraq and Bush and Blair were the liars and aggressors as they made unfounded allegations of possession of weapons of mass destruction," the Zimbabwean leader said.
"This time it is the NATO countries (that are) the liars and aggressors as they make similarly unfounded allegations of destruction of civilian lives by Gaddafi."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31