ICC turns a `blind eye` to western crimes: Mugabe
New York: Zimbabwe`s outspoken leader Robert Mugabe accused the International Criminal Court on Thursday of turning a "blind eye" to crimes by Western leaders.
Mugabe, 87, told the UN General Assembly that the ICC has no credibility in Africa.
The court "seems to exist only for alleged offenders of the developing world, the majority of them Africans”, he said.
"The leaders of the powerful western states guilty of international crime, like Bush and Blair, are routinely given the blind eye. Such selective justice has eroded the credibility of the ICC on the African continent."
George W Bush, the former US president, and ex-British prime minister Tony Blair have faced criticism from activists for their role as architects of the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
The ICC has issued charges against Sudan`s President Omar al-Bashir for genocide in Darfur. Libya`s former strongman Muammar Gaddafi is also wanted by the ICC. African countries regularly criticise the focus on their continent.
Mugabe also blasted the NATO air raids in Libya, justified by UN resolutions on protecting civilians after Gaddafi’s crackdown on protests.
"Yesterday, it was Iraq and Bush and Blair were the liars and aggressors as they made unfounded allegations of possession of weapons of mass destruction," the Zimbabwean leader said.
"This time it is the NATO countries (that are) the liars and aggressors as they make similarly unfounded allegations of destruction of civilian lives by Gaddafi."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH