ICC turns a `blind eye` to western crimes: Mugabe
New York: Zimbabwe`s outspoken leader Robert Mugabe accused the International Criminal Court on Thursday of turning a "blind eye" to crimes by Western leaders.
Mugabe, 87, told the UN General Assembly that the ICC has no credibility in Africa.
The court "seems to exist only for alleged offenders of the developing world, the majority of them Africans”, he said.
"The leaders of the powerful western states guilty of international crime, like Bush and Blair, are routinely given the blind eye. Such selective justice has eroded the credibility of the ICC on the African continent."
George W Bush, the former US president, and ex-British prime minister Tony Blair have faced criticism from activists for their role as architects of the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
The ICC has issued charges against Sudan`s President Omar al-Bashir for genocide in Darfur. Libya`s former strongman Muammar Gaddafi is also wanted by the ICC. African countries regularly criticise the focus on their continent.
Mugabe also blasted the NATO air raids in Libya, justified by UN resolutions on protecting civilians after Gaddafi’s crackdown on protests.
"Yesterday, it was Iraq and Bush and Blair were the liars and aggressors as they made unfounded allegations of possession of weapons of mass destruction," the Zimbabwean leader said.
"This time it is the NATO countries (that are) the liars and aggressors as they make similarly unfounded allegations of destruction of civilian lives by Gaddafi."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!