Iceland PM marries as gay marriage gets legalised
London: Iceland Prime Minister, Johanna Sigurdardottir, has tied the knot with her long-time partner as a new law legalising homosexual marriages came into force.
According to a RUV broadcaster, the 68-year-old PM officially married Jonina Leosdottir, a writer, after the couple submitted a demand for their civil union to be converted into matrimony.
The Parliament of Iceland collectively adopted legislation permitting same sex marriage, in a law that came into force on Sunday.
Sigurdardottir, born in 1942, took the office in February 2009, reports the Telegraph.
She has lived with Ledsdottir, who is in her fifties, for many years and the couple entered a civil union in 2002.
She is the world`s first openly gay head of government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you