Iceland PM marries as gay marriage gets legalised
London: Iceland Prime Minister, Johanna Sigurdardottir, has tied the knot with her long-time partner as a new law legalising homosexual marriages came into force.
According to a RUV broadcaster, the 68-year-old PM officially married Jonina Leosdottir, a writer, after the couple submitted a demand for their civil union to be converted into matrimony.
The Parliament of Iceland collectively adopted legislation permitting same sex marriage, in a law that came into force on Sunday.
Sigurdardottir, born in 1942, took the office in February 2009, reports the Telegraph.
She has lived with Ledsdottir, who is in her fifties, for many years and the couple entered a civil union in 2002.
She is the world`s first openly gay head of government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking! Heartbreaking video of babies born addicted to drugs - Watch
- Shiv Sena rues breakdown in communication with BJP, blames generational shift in party
- TCS top Indian IT employer; Infosys, Cognizant and Wipro next
- Painless patch can monitor side effects of drugs
- Two dead, over a dozen wounded in Florida nightclub shooting; one person detained