Iceland PM marries as gay marriage gets legalised
London: Iceland Prime Minister, Johanna Sigurdardottir, has tied the knot with her long-time partner as a new law legalising homosexual marriages came into force.
According to a RUV broadcaster, the 68-year-old PM officially married Jonina Leosdottir, a writer, after the couple submitted a demand for their civil union to be converted into matrimony.
The Parliament of Iceland collectively adopted legislation permitting same sex marriage, in a law that came into force on Sunday.
Sigurdardottir, born in 1942, took the office in February 2009, reports the Telegraph.
She has lived with Ledsdottir, who is in her fifties, for many years and the couple entered a civil union in 2002.
She is the world`s first openly gay head of government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB
- What a pervert! Bijnor imam caught on camera during rape – Watch shocking video
- Defender Cedric Soares renews contract with Southampton until 2020
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars