Icelanders keep cool over EU membership
Reykjavik: Formal talks have started over Iceland`s entry into the European Union, but Icelanders remain cool at the prospect as differences over fishing and revived national pride trump EU enthusiasm.
As enlargement negotiations got under way in Brussels last week, there were few on the small volcanic island in the north Atlantic who were keen to champion the idea of becoming the 29th EU member after Croatia next year.
"I don`t have really a marked opinion but, about the fishing, I don`t think it`s good for the Icelandic people," said artist Gestur Mar Fanndal, enjoying the Reykjavik sunshine with his child on a busy shopping street.
Public support for enlargement is key because the decision to join the EU will ultimately go to a referendum. Norway twice voted against joining the EU, in 1972 and 1994.
Negotiations opened a year after Iceland submitted its application in July 2009 in the wake of a financial crisis that decimated its banking sector and fuelled initial public support to join the EU family`s economic security.
Some remain keen, such as Elias Halldor Agustsson, a senior systems analyst at the University of Iceland.
"I think it would be a bloody good idea. It can`t be worse than what we already have," he said, citing endemic corruption and nepotism.
However, in the last available poll on the question from June, 60 percent of Icelanders said they were against the EU membership, with just 26 percent in favour.
Nationalism has been revived in part by the collapse of Icesave bank and Iceland`s tough negotiations with EU members Britain and the Netherlands over compensation for British and Dutch account holders who lost their savings.
The collapse of Iceland`s banking system has also led Icelanders to fall back on traditional industries, namely fishing, which represents a third of its exports.
In the small port of Sandgerdi, an hour from the capital, captain Hjortur Alfredsson expressed his concerns over the impact EU membership would have on his industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?