ICRC given access to Damascus prison for 1st time
Geneva: The International Committee of the
Red Cross said on Tuesday it was for the first time granted access
to a Syrian detention centre.
"The Syrian authorities have granted the ICRC access to a
place of detention for the first time," ICRC president Jakob
Kellenberger, who held talks with Syrian President Bashar
al-Assad today, said in a statement.
He said the ICRC was able to visit the Damascus Central
Prison in the suburb of Adra yesterday.
"Initially, we will have access to persons detained by
the Ministry of the Interior, and we are hopeful that we will
soon be able to visit all detainees," Kellenberger said.
"This is an important step forward for our humanitarian
activities in Syria," he said.
During talks with Assad, Kellenberger said he discussed
the use of force by security forces and the need to respect
the physical and psychological well-being of the detainees, as
well as the latest developments in the country since his last
visit in June.
"The purpose of these visits ... is to ensure that
detainees are treated humanely and that their dignity is
respected and preserved," the ICRC said.
Kellenberger also said that his main concern was to
ensure that the wounded and sick are able to obtain medical
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- If you survive in Mumbai cricket, you get rewarded: Shardul Thakur on maiden Test call-up
- Shah Rukh Khan remembers his school days, wonders how time has changed! Details inside
- Rio Olympics: Sachin Tendulkar meets wrestlers ahead of quadrennial event, boosts morale
- IPL 2016: Shane Watson reprimanded for using offensive language during match against Delhi Daredevils
- Photo alert! Aamir Khan dines with 'X-Men' star Ian McKellen