ICRC tries to access detained OSCE inspectors, Ukrainians
Slavyansk: The Red Cross insisted Monday that all sides in the Ukraine crisis treat detainees "humanely" and told AFP it was trying to access OSCE inspectors and Ukrainian officers being held by pro-Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine.
The statement by the International Committee of the Red Cross was made a day after rebels in the eastern town of Slavyansk presented eight European OSCE military inspectors to the media, and allowed Russian state media to broadcast images of three badly beaten Ukrainian military officers stripped to their underwear.
"The ICRC is maintaining a dialogue with all sides involved in the current crisis with a view to obtaining access to the persons deprived of their liberty with a focus on those held in relation to the current situation," the Geneva-based organisation told AFP via email.
"Although the situation in eastern Ukraine does not constitute an international armed conflict (and for this reason the four Geneva Conventions do not apply), the ICRC reminds all sides to treat all persons deprived of their liberty humanely."
A rebel spokeswoman in Slavyansk told AFP on Monday that negotiations with the OSCE were continuing to free seven inspectors seized outside the town three days ago. An update was due in a news conference later Monday.
One inspector, a Swedish major, was released late Sunday, apparently because he suffered from diabetes. The fate of four Ukrainian military officers seized with the OSCE inspectors was unknown.
The insurgents accuse the military inspectors of being "NATO spies" and say they are being treated as "prisoners of war". They insist the group will be let go only in a prisoner swap for pro-Russian militants detained by Ukrainian authorities.
The Swiss government, which holds the rotating OSCE chairmanship, called a meeting at the organisation`s Vienna headquarters on Monday to discuss the situation.
The German and Russian foreign ministers also held a telephone coversation on the issue.
The seven OSCE inspectors comprise four Germans, one Pole, one Dane and one from the Czech Republic. All are men.
The detention of the OSCE team has sparked international opprobrium.
It also raises a serious challenge to the international monitoring mission carried out by the pan-European body that is meant to verify developments related to an April 17 Geneva accord designed to de-escalate the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark