I`d rather be a really good one-term president: Obama
Washington: US President Barack Obama has said in a broadcast interview that he would hold firm to his initiatives, such as reforming the health care system, even if it costs him re-election in 2012.
"I`d rather be a really good one-term president than a mediocre two-term president," he said in an interview on ABC News aired late Monday.
His attempts to reform the US health care system have come under attack and the bill`s unpopularity with voters in Massachusetts was seen as leading in part to the election of Republican Scott Brown to the Senate in a special election earlier this month.
"You know, there is a tendency in Washington to believe our job description, of elected officials, is to get re-elected. That`s not our job description," Obama said. "Our job description is to solve problems and to help people."
Obama is expected to address health along with the still weak US economy and other domestic and international issues in the annual State of the Union speech before Congress on Wednesday evening.
He is also expected to propose a three-year spending freeze on domestic budget items, media reports said. Funding not related to defence would be capped at USD 447 billion per year in an attempt to rein in government spending.
The move would trim USD 15 billion off the next budget, but would save significantly more over time, the Washington Post reported. The expansion of government spending has been a key criticism by Obama`s opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS