IDF plans to use social networking sites for improving image
Jerusalem: As part of its cyber defence
strategy, Israeli military plans to set up a separate unit
that would use social networking sites like Facebook and
Twitter to reach out to international audience.
Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) spokesman Brig Gen Avi
Benayahu said the new department would focus on the Internet`s
social media networks, mainly to reach out to international
audience directly rather than through the regular media.
The proposal for the unit, as well as an initiative by
the Information and Diaspora Ministry to train people to
represent Israel independently on the Internet and in other
arenas, were presented yesterday at the Eilat Journalists
Conference during a panel discussion on Israeli public
Some eight to ten youngsters, who are experts in Web
2.0 - YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, will be identified during
induction to the IDF Spokesman`s office and assigned the job,
Benayahu told journalists in the southern city of Eilat.
He later told daily Ha`aretz that the programme will
be up and running in a few months.
As per media reports, the Army Spokesperson`s Office
began working on this more than a year ago in view of video
postings on Youtube showing Israel in a poor light.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know