IDF plans to use social networking sites for improving image
Jerusalem: As part of its cyber defence
strategy, Israeli military plans to set up a separate unit
that would use social networking sites like Facebook and
Twitter to reach out to international audience.
Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) spokesman Brig Gen Avi
Benayahu said the new department would focus on the Internet`s
social media networks, mainly to reach out to international
audience directly rather than through the regular media.
The proposal for the unit, as well as an initiative by
the Information and Diaspora Ministry to train people to
represent Israel independently on the Internet and in other
arenas, were presented yesterday at the Eilat Journalists
Conference during a panel discussion on Israeli public
Some eight to ten youngsters, who are experts in Web
2.0 - YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, will be identified during
induction to the IDF Spokesman`s office and assigned the job,
Benayahu told journalists in the southern city of Eilat.
He later told daily Ha`aretz that the programme will
be up and running in a few months.
As per media reports, the Army Spokesperson`s Office
began working on this more than a year ago in view of video
postings on Youtube showing Israel in a poor light.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof