IDF plans to use social networking sites for improving image
Jerusalem: As part of its cyber defence
strategy, Israeli military plans to set up a separate unit
that would use social networking sites like Facebook and
Twitter to reach out to international audience.
Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) spokesman Brig Gen Avi
Benayahu said the new department would focus on the Internet`s
social media networks, mainly to reach out to international
audience directly rather than through the regular media.
The proposal for the unit, as well as an initiative by
the Information and Diaspora Ministry to train people to
represent Israel independently on the Internet and in other
arenas, were presented yesterday at the Eilat Journalists
Conference during a panel discussion on Israeli public
Some eight to ten youngsters, who are experts in Web
2.0 - YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, will be identified during
induction to the IDF Spokesman`s office and assigned the job,
Benayahu told journalists in the southern city of Eilat.
He later told daily Ha`aretz that the programme will
be up and running in a few months.
As per media reports, the Army Spokesperson`s Office
began working on this more than a year ago in view of video
postings on Youtube showing Israel in a poor light.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next