If four Americans get killed, it`s not optimal: Obama
Washington: The US President Barack Obama has affirmed to fix any flaws that contributed to the deaths of four Americans during an attack on its Consulate in Benghazi last month, saying, "If four Americans get killed, it`s not optimal."
"If four Americans get killed, it`s not optimal. We`re going to fix it," Obama told Jon Stewart on Comedy Central in an interview.
"All of it. And what happens, during the course of a presidency, is that the government is a big operation and any given time something screws up. And you make sure that you find out what`s broken and you fix it," he said.
"Whatever else I have done throughout the course of my presidency the one thing that I`ve been absolutely clear about is that America`s security comes, and the American people need to know exactly how I make decisions when it comes to war, peace, security, and protecting Americans. And they will continue to get that over the next four years of my presidency," Obama asserted.
"Every piece of information that we get, as we got it we laid it out to the American people. The picture eventually gets fully filled in," Obama said.
When asked about the tradeoff between national security and civil liberties, Obama reiterated his vow to close Guantanamo.
And when asked about political gridlock in Washington, he said he hoped that more Democrats are elected to win more seats.
"I still want to close Guantanamo. We haven`t been able to get that through Congress... One of the things we have to do is put a legal architecture in place, and we need Congressional help to do that so that not only am I reined in but any president`s reined in terms of some of the decisions we`re making," Obama said, pointing to his track record in prosecuting terrorism.
"We`ve gone after al Qaeda and its leadership. It`s true that Qaeda is still active, at least sort of remnants of it are staging in other parts of North Africa and the Middle East. Sometimes you`ve got to make some tough calls but you can do so in a way that`s consistent with international law and with American law," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800