`If Israel attacks Iran, US will have to join it`
Jerusalem: Should Jerusalem decide to
launch a military offensive against Iran, Washington will find
it difficult not to join hands with its "great ally", a top
ranking former US official has said.
Contending that Israel cannot alone carry out a
successful attack against the Islamic Republic`s nuclear
installations, Charles F. Wald, former deputy commander of
United States European Command, said a military strike on Iran
could set back the Islamic Republic`s alleged nuclear weapons
programme by several years, but, he stressed, "I don`t think
Israel can do it alone," daily Ha`aretz reported.
Wald`s comments were made at an annual gathering of
financial backers of the Washington Institute for Near East
Policy yesterday, who were joined by diplomats, journalists
"They have a fantastic military, but not big enough for
weeks or months of attacks--hundreds of sorties per day," the
daily quoted him as saying.
However the former US defence official also noted
that should "our great ally Israel" decide to take military
action to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon,
"pressure will mount for us to stand by Israel".
When asked to comment on the suggestion given by former
US president Jimmy Carter`s national security adviser Zbigniew
Brzezinski last month that the American army shoot down
Israeli warplanes if they try to fly over Iraq to attack Iran,
Wald quipped, "The chance of that is zero--no, less than
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi