If UN resolution on Syria not strong, Assad will play games: John Kerry
Zee Media Bureau/ Neha Attre
Paris: Seeking a strong and "enforceable" UN resolution to eliminate the stockpile of chemical weapons, US Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday warned Syrian government saying non-compliance will result to serious consequenses for Assad regime.
Two days after Sergei Lavrov and John Kerry hashed out a deal on Syria chemical weapons, the United States, France and UK today demanded a swift and strong UN resolution on Syria so that Assad doesn`t backtrack on his commitment.
Speaking in a news conference after meeting UK and French counterparts, Kerry said, "If Assad fails in time to abide by the terms of this framework, make no mistake, we are all agreed - and that includes Russia - that there will be consequences".
"If the Assad regime feels it is not enforceable then it will play games," Kerry added.
The three Western nations also agreed to have a specific timeline to dismantle the chemical weapons once it is taken away from the control of Syrian regime, French President Francois Hollande said on Monday.
Hollande along with Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius met US Secretary of State John Kerry and British Foreign Secretary William Hague on Monday.
While Hollande agreed with the plan of US and Russia to dismantle and destroy the chemical weapons, he had earlier insisted on continuing to maintain the military pressure on the war-torn country.
Hollande also said that sanctions would be enforced on Syria if it refuses to abide by the decisions of UN Security Council, which is likely to meet his week.
Meanwhile, chemical weapon inspectors at UN submitted their report on the suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria to Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Sunday.
The report includes details like which chemical weapons were used and not who used them – Syrian government or rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?