Illegal Malta-made bullets shipped to Libya
Valletta: Thousands of bullets, illegally manufactured at a gun shop in Malta`s second largest island of Gozo, were delivered to the country`s main island and shipped to Libya, a local court has heard here.
Two Maltese gun shop owners and a Libyan man have been charged so far in what is believed to be a ring exporting bullets to Libyan organisations knowing or suspecting it would be used against civilians, Xinhua reported.
The compilation of evidence against two suspects --Feraj Issa Ali Yacoub,31, from Libya, and Michael Azzopardi,53, from Malta, began Monday. The third man, Mario Farrugia,41, from Gozo, is facing separate procedures at the Gozo court over his involvement in the case.
Prosecuting inspectors testified that following a tip-off, they were ordered to keep the Tal-Margu Gun Shop in Rabat, owned by Azzopardi, under watch.
Yacoub was observed leaving the shop and was subsequently stopped by the police while driving. Eleven boxes containing some 23,000 bullets were found in his car, concealed beneath plastic chairs and a sun visor.
Azzopardi`s arrest soon followed. According to inspectors, three or four consignments to Libya had already taken place.
The magistrate put off the case until Nov 18.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list