Illegal migrant Asian woman dies in Channel crossing
London: An illegal Asian immigrant woman, who dared to swim across the English Channel to Britain has been found dead on a beach in northern France.
She, however, became the first illegal immigrant who had made the highly dangerous bid to reach the English coast, the Mail Online reported today.
The unidentified woman Asian woman, thought to be in her thirties, was carrying a compass and energy food bars is thought to have drowned and been washed back ashore after attempting the hazardous 34-km crossing.
She also had spare clothes in a plastic pouch and was smeared with vaseline to prevent irritation during the swim through the world`s busiest shipping lane.
Police in Calais said her body was found on a beach near the coastal town of Wimereux on Sunday.
Captain Matthew Webb made the first recorded unassisted swim across the Channel in 1875. About 1,000 people have made the crossing since.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video