Illegal migrant Asian woman dies in Channel crossing
London: An illegal Asian immigrant woman, who dared to swim across the English Channel to Britain has been found dead on a beach in northern France.
She, however, became the first illegal immigrant who had made the highly dangerous bid to reach the English coast, the Mail Online reported today.
The unidentified woman Asian woman, thought to be in her thirties, was carrying a compass and energy food bars is thought to have drowned and been washed back ashore after attempting the hazardous 34-km crossing.
She also had spare clothes in a plastic pouch and was smeared with vaseline to prevent irritation during the swim through the world`s busiest shipping lane.
Police in Calais said her body was found on a beach near the coastal town of Wimereux on Sunday.
Captain Matthew Webb made the first recorded unassisted swim across the Channel in 1875. About 1,000 people have made the crossing since.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users