Illegal migrant Asian woman dies in Channel crossing
London: An illegal Asian immigrant woman, who dared to swim across the English Channel to Britain has been found dead on a beach in northern France.
She, however, became the first illegal immigrant who had made the highly dangerous bid to reach the English coast, the Mail Online reported today.
The unidentified woman Asian woman, thought to be in her thirties, was carrying a compass and energy food bars is thought to have drowned and been washed back ashore after attempting the hazardous 34-km crossing.
She also had spare clothes in a plastic pouch and was smeared with vaseline to prevent irritation during the swim through the world`s busiest shipping lane.
Police in Calais said her body was found on a beach near the coastal town of Wimereux on Sunday.
Captain Matthew Webb made the first recorded unassisted swim across the Channel in 1875. About 1,000 people have made the crossing since.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara