Illegal migrants may be banned from entering Russia
Moscow: Foreigners coming to Russia may be denied entry for 10 years if they repeatedly violate immigration rules, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said.
Medvedev said relevant legislation concerning the penalty is currently under consideration in Parliament, and it is aimed at improving the effectiveness of Russia`s immigration policy.
"If such a case (a violation) is registered for the second time, a foreign national will be banned from entering Russia for 10 years," Medvedev said.
According to Medvedev, Russia is interested "in law-abiding and highly-sought-after people on our market".
The Federal Migration Service (FMS) estimates the number of migrant workers in Russia at around five million, including three million who work in the country illegally.
Migration is a contentious issue for Russia, with widespread disquiet in some sectors of society about the increasing numbers of foreign workers coming to Russia to live.
According to the 2012 International Migration Outlook, issued last year by the Paris-based Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Russia is home to the world`s largest number of illegal migrants, accounting for almost seven percent of the country`s working population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan