Illegal migrants may be banned from entering Russia
Moscow: Foreigners coming to Russia may be denied entry for 10 years if they repeatedly violate immigration rules, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said.
Medvedev said relevant legislation concerning the penalty is currently under consideration in Parliament, and it is aimed at improving the effectiveness of Russia`s immigration policy.
"If such a case (a violation) is registered for the second time, a foreign national will be banned from entering Russia for 10 years," Medvedev said.
According to Medvedev, Russia is interested "in law-abiding and highly-sought-after people on our market".
The Federal Migration Service (FMS) estimates the number of migrant workers in Russia at around five million, including three million who work in the country illegally.
Migration is a contentious issue for Russia, with widespread disquiet in some sectors of society about the increasing numbers of foreign workers coming to Russia to live.
According to the 2012 International Migration Outlook, issued last year by the Paris-based Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Russia is home to the world`s largest number of illegal migrants, accounting for almost seven percent of the country`s working population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in