Imam dead in mosque arson in Belgium: Police
Brussels: A man set fire to a mosque in
Brussels, killing its 47-year-old imam and injuring another person, in an arson attack that destroyed a large part of the
building, police said.
Police officials at the scene "confirmed it was the imam"
who died when a firebomb was thrown into the Shiite mosque
yesterday, police spokeswoman Marie Verbeke said.
The imam, who succumbed to the fumes in the burnt-out place of worship, was with a second person, who was lightly injured, at the time of the attack.
"A suspect was taken into custody at the scene," Verbeke added.
A witness saw the suspect, a man, set fire to the
building, Verbeke said, but no other details were immediately
Anderlecht Mayor Vincent Van Goidsenhoven said the
suspect threw a Molotov cocktail at the mosque, Belga news
"The mosque was apparently almost entirely burned down,"
Belgian public broadcasters RTBF and a stream of Twitter
users said that a group of at least 50 people had gathered
outside the Shiite mosque.
Police said they received a call at 6:45 pm and the body
was pulled out 45 minutes later.
The area around the mosque, near Belgium`s main
international railway hub, has a large immigrant Muslim
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing