IMF rejects report of widespread sexual harassment
Washington: The International Monetary Fund rejected on Friday a New York Times report alleging that sexual harassment and extramarital affairs are rife in the corridors of the world body.
"This is not the Fund we know and work in," spokesman William Murray said in response to the Times front page story headlined `At IMF, Men on Prowl and Women on Guard`.
The report comes after the then IMF managing director Dominique Strauss-Kahn was arrested on Saturday and charged with sexually assaulting a hotel chambermaid in his suite in a Manhattan hotel. He has denied all charges.
The respected daily described a culture of "alpha male economists" freely harassing female staffers and women who "avoid wearing skirts for fear of attracting unwanted attention”.
It said the Fund was "an institution whose sexual norms and customs are markedly different from those of Washington, leaving its female employees vulnerable to harassment."
Murray took issue with that image of one of the pillars of the world financial system.
"Is it a perfect place? No," he said in a statement.
"But this report creates an impression of institutionalised harassment and disrespect. That is not the case. Harassment is not tolerated in the institution."
The IMF published a new official code of conduct on Thursday ahead of the article which tightened its rules on personal relationships in the office.
It called the new rules, which date to May 06, "strong and consistent with best practice, including in the United States”.
"A close personal relationship between a supervisor and subordinate presents a potential conflict of interest and must be reported and resolved, usually by reassignment of one of the individuals to a different work unit," it said.
"Failure to report and then resolve the potential conflict of interest constitutes misconduct and is grounds for disciplinary action," it added in a statement.
The married Strauss-Kahn was criticised nearly three years ago for an affair he had with a Hungarian economist who worked in the IMF`s Africa department.
The IMF board called the relationship a "serious error of judgment”, but did not find him guilty of harassment or abuse of power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly