`Immigrants know Britain better than the British`
London: A British parliamentarian has claimed new immigrants are better aware about the country`s heritage than many Britons.
Labour justice spokesperson Sadiq Khan said that it "frustrated" him to see newcomers obliged to sit citizenship tests when many people "know b***** all" about British history, the Daily Mail reported.
Khan, the son of Pakistani immigrants and MP for Tooting parliamentary constituency in south London, claimed to have come across many people who have gone through the citizenship ceremony and feel "so excited and enthused".
But he said: "Then I’ll be canvassing in my area and there’ll be people who have lived in the same home for three or four or five generations who know b***** all about our country, about our heritage."
"It frustrates me that you’ve got new citizens who have an obligation to learn about our country but we aren’t doing enough to make sure everyone shares that knowledge.”
Khan’s comments have been criticised by Tory MPs.
To gain British citizenship or leave to remain in Britain, immigrants speaking a certain level of English must complete a test called "Life in the United Kingdom", introduced by the Labour government in 2005.
Before being naturalised, they must also take part in an individual or group ceremony at their local town hall, which involves an oath of allegiance to the Queen and listening to the national anthem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'