`Immigrants know Britain better than the British`
London: A British parliamentarian has claimed new immigrants are better aware about the country`s heritage than many Britons.
Labour justice spokesperson Sadiq Khan said that it "frustrated" him to see newcomers obliged to sit citizenship tests when many people "know b***** all" about British history, the Daily Mail reported.
Khan, the son of Pakistani immigrants and MP for Tooting parliamentary constituency in south London, claimed to have come across many people who have gone through the citizenship ceremony and feel "so excited and enthused".
But he said: "Then I’ll be canvassing in my area and there’ll be people who have lived in the same home for three or four or five generations who know b***** all about our country, about our heritage."
"It frustrates me that you’ve got new citizens who have an obligation to learn about our country but we aren’t doing enough to make sure everyone shares that knowledge.”
Khan’s comments have been criticised by Tory MPs.
To gain British citizenship or leave to remain in Britain, immigrants speaking a certain level of English must complete a test called "Life in the United Kingdom", introduced by the Labour government in 2005.
Before being naturalised, they must also take part in an individual or group ceremony at their local town hall, which involves an oath of allegiance to the Queen and listening to the national anthem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion