Immigration bill faces difficulty, says US House of Representatives leader
Washington: The leader of the US House of Representatives says it will be difficult to pass immigration legislation this year.
It`s yet another sign of dimming prospects for one of President Barack Obama`s top domestic priorities.
Speaker John Boehner says the problem is opposition Republicans don`t trust the president to enforce any law that Congress passes. He called on Obama today to restore trust.
The speaker did not mention that rank-and-file Republicans were unenthusiastic about a set of principles circulated by the leadership last week.
The principles included legal status for millions of adults who live in the country illegally.
Boehner has consistently said Congress should deal with the issue of immigration. His comments were unusually pessimistic about the prospects for legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015