Immigration bill faces difficulty, says US House of Representatives leader
Washington: The leader of the US House of Representatives says it will be difficult to pass immigration legislation this year.
It`s yet another sign of dimming prospects for one of President Barack Obama`s top domestic priorities.
Speaker John Boehner says the problem is opposition Republicans don`t trust the president to enforce any law that Congress passes. He called on Obama today to restore trust.
The speaker did not mention that rank-and-file Republicans were unenthusiastic about a set of principles circulated by the leadership last week.
The principles included legal status for millions of adults who live in the country illegally.
Boehner has consistently said Congress should deal with the issue of immigration. His comments were unusually pessimistic about the prospects for legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday