Immigration bill faces difficulty, says US House of Representatives leader
Washington: The leader of the US House of Representatives says it will be difficult to pass immigration legislation this year.
It`s yet another sign of dimming prospects for one of President Barack Obama`s top domestic priorities.
Speaker John Boehner says the problem is opposition Republicans don`t trust the president to enforce any law that Congress passes. He called on Obama today to restore trust.
The speaker did not mention that rank-and-file Republicans were unenthusiastic about a set of principles circulated by the leadership last week.
The principles included legal status for millions of adults who live in the country illegally.
Boehner has consistently said Congress should deal with the issue of immigration. His comments were unusually pessimistic about the prospects for legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read