Immigration bill faces difficulty, says US House of Representatives leader
Washington: The leader of the US House of Representatives says it will be difficult to pass immigration legislation this year.
It`s yet another sign of dimming prospects for one of President Barack Obama`s top domestic priorities.
Speaker John Boehner says the problem is opposition Republicans don`t trust the president to enforce any law that Congress passes. He called on Obama today to restore trust.
The speaker did not mention that rank-and-file Republicans were unenthusiastic about a set of principles circulated by the leadership last week.
The principles included legal status for millions of adults who live in the country illegally.
Boehner has consistently said Congress should deal with the issue of immigration. His comments were unusually pessimistic about the prospects for legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened