Immigration reform should attract the best, brightest: Obama
Washington: US President Barack Obama on Tuesday said that the country`s immigration reform, currently underway, should be able to attract "the best and the brightest" people from across the world "in a legal fashion".
"We should make sure that we are cracking down on employers that are gaming the system", Obama said at a White House news conference.
"We should make the legal immigration system work more effectively so that the weights are not as burdensome, the bureaucracy is not as complicated so that we can continue to attract the best and the brightest from around the world to our shores in a legal fashion," he said.
Obama said he has been impressed by the work that has been done by the Gang of Eight, the bi-partisan group of eight Senators.
"The bill that they produced is not the bill that I would have written. There are elements of it that I would change, but I do think that it meets the basic criteria that I laid out from the start, which is we`ve got to have more effective border security, although it should build on the great improvements that have been made on border security over the last four to five years," Obama said.
"We want to make sure that we`ve got a pathway to citizenship that is tough, but allows people to earn, over time, their legal status here in this country. The Senate bill in some cases, not in the ways that I would, but it meets those basic criteria.
"And I think it`s a testament to the senators that were involved. They made some tough choices and made some tough compromises in order to hammer out that bill," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next