In Abu Dhabi, Christmas comes decked with gold
Abu Dhabi: When they deck the halls
in opulent Abu Dhabi, it comes with gold ornaments and
gem-studded bows on a towering Christmas tree.
The USD 11 million symbol of the season is the latest
extravagance at the Emirates Palace hotel, which boasts its
own marina, heliport and a vending machine that pops out small
The hotel`s general manager, Hans Olbertz, is quoted in
local newspapers today as saying the 43-foot (13-meter) tree
has 131 ornaments that include gold and precious stones.
Christmas spirit is not rare in the officially Muslim
United Arab Emirates with its huge foreign population and
malls full of carolers and Santas.
But not everyone`s jolly. Some Emirati officials worry
about threats to Gulf culture from the Western wave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!