In Abu Dhabi, Christmas comes decked with gold
Abu Dhabi: When they deck the halls
in opulent Abu Dhabi, it comes with gold ornaments and
gem-studded bows on a towering Christmas tree.
The USD 11 million symbol of the season is the latest
extravagance at the Emirates Palace hotel, which boasts its
own marina, heliport and a vending machine that pops out small
The hotel`s general manager, Hans Olbertz, is quoted in
local newspapers today as saying the 43-foot (13-meter) tree
has 131 ornaments that include gold and precious stones.
Christmas spirit is not rare in the officially Muslim
United Arab Emirates with its huge foreign population and
malls full of carolers and Santas.
But not everyone`s jolly. Some Emirati officials worry
about threats to Gulf culture from the Western wave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred