In China, 36 killed in fire accidents during New Year
Beijing: At least 36 people were killed and 11 injured in fire accidents across China during the week-long Lunar New Year festivities.
About 6,597 fires broke out from February 09-15, leaving 36 people dead and 11 injured, the fire department of the Ministry of Public Security said in a statement on Friday.
The fires caused property losses of CNY 58 million (USD 9.2 million) during the seven-day Spring Festival holiday, said the statement.
People all over China burst fire crackers to celebrate the New Year.
In accordance with an action plan of ministry, 170,000 firefighters were placed on guard nationwide to ensure a safe festive period for the traditional Chinese Lunar New Year, state-run Xinhua reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical