In China, 36 killed in fire accidents during New Year
Beijing: At least 36 people were killed and 11 injured in fire accidents across China during the week-long Lunar New Year festivities.
About 6,597 fires broke out from February 09-15, leaving 36 people dead and 11 injured, the fire department of the Ministry of Public Security said in a statement on Friday.
The fires caused property losses of CNY 58 million (USD 9.2 million) during the seven-day Spring Festival holiday, said the statement.
People all over China burst fire crackers to celebrate the New Year.
In accordance with an action plan of ministry, 170,000 firefighters were placed on guard nationwide to ensure a safe festive period for the traditional Chinese Lunar New Year, state-run Xinhua reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert