In China, 36 killed in fire accidents during New Year
Beijing: At least 36 people were killed and 11 injured in fire accidents across China during the week-long Lunar New Year festivities.
About 6,597 fires broke out from February 09-15, leaving 36 people dead and 11 injured, the fire department of the Ministry of Public Security said in a statement on Friday.
The fires caused property losses of CNY 58 million (USD 9.2 million) during the seven-day Spring Festival holiday, said the statement.
People all over China burst fire crackers to celebrate the New Year.
In accordance with an action plan of ministry, 170,000 firefighters were placed on guard nationwide to ensure a safe festive period for the traditional Chinese Lunar New Year, state-run Xinhua reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam