In China, 406 persons evacuated from blizzard-hit highway
Beijing: Over 400 passengers stranded on a highway were on Monday evacuated to safety by rescuers after they were trapped in a blizzard in northwest China`s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
"The 406 passengers and 68 vehicles they rode in, were left stranded in Maytas and Tacheng by the blizzard with maximum wind speed of up to 90 km per hour yesterday," said Li Jiancheng, an official with the Tacheng Highways Bureau.
Li added that it took rescuers 13 hours to evacuate the trapped people and move their vehicles to safe areas early today.
The section of the highway has been shut down, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Maytas is known for strong gales and blizzards, which often leave passengers stranded and force the closure of local highways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!