In China, 406 persons evacuated from blizzard-hit highway
Beijing: Over 400 passengers stranded on a highway were on Monday evacuated to safety by rescuers after they were trapped in a blizzard in northwest China`s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
"The 406 passengers and 68 vehicles they rode in, were left stranded in Maytas and Tacheng by the blizzard with maximum wind speed of up to 90 km per hour yesterday," said Li Jiancheng, an official with the Tacheng Highways Bureau.
Li added that it took rescuers 13 hours to evacuate the trapped people and move their vehicles to safe areas early today.
The section of the highway has been shut down, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Maytas is known for strong gales and blizzards, which often leave passengers stranded and force the closure of local highways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy