In China, 406 persons evacuated from blizzard-hit highway
Beijing: Over 400 passengers stranded on a highway were on Monday evacuated to safety by rescuers after they were trapped in a blizzard in northwest China`s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
"The 406 passengers and 68 vehicles they rode in, were left stranded in Maytas and Tacheng by the blizzard with maximum wind speed of up to 90 km per hour yesterday," said Li Jiancheng, an official with the Tacheng Highways Bureau.
Li added that it took rescuers 13 hours to evacuate the trapped people and move their vehicles to safe areas early today.
The section of the highway has been shut down, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Maytas is known for strong gales and blizzards, which often leave passengers stranded and force the closure of local highways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic