In China, 406 persons evacuated from blizzard-hit highway
Beijing: Over 400 passengers stranded on a highway were on Monday evacuated to safety by rescuers after they were trapped in a blizzard in northwest China`s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
"The 406 passengers and 68 vehicles they rode in, were left stranded in Maytas and Tacheng by the blizzard with maximum wind speed of up to 90 km per hour yesterday," said Li Jiancheng, an official with the Tacheng Highways Bureau.
Li added that it took rescuers 13 hours to evacuate the trapped people and move their vehicles to safe areas early today.
The section of the highway has been shut down, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Maytas is known for strong gales and blizzards, which often leave passengers stranded and force the closure of local highways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie