In China, 406 persons evacuated from blizzard-hit highway
Beijing: Over 400 passengers stranded on a highway were on Monday evacuated to safety by rescuers after they were trapped in a blizzard in northwest China`s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
"The 406 passengers and 68 vehicles they rode in, were left stranded in Maytas and Tacheng by the blizzard with maximum wind speed of up to 90 km per hour yesterday," said Li Jiancheng, an official with the Tacheng Highways Bureau.
Li added that it took rescuers 13 hours to evacuate the trapped people and move their vehicles to safe areas early today.
The section of the highway has been shut down, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Maytas is known for strong gales and blizzards, which often leave passengers stranded and force the closure of local highways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday