In memoirs, ex-Israeli PM regrets failure of talks
Jerusalem: Former Israeli prime minister Ehud Olmert says Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas made a "historic mistake" by rebuffing a peace offer made during negotiations in 2008.
Excerpts from an upcoming memoir by Olmert were published on Friday in the Israeli daily Yediot Ahronot.
They come days after the Arabic TV station Al-Jazeera released confidential documents about concessions the Palestinians were prepared to make in the same negotiations.
Olmert says he offered Abbas a Palestinian state in the West Bank, east Jerusalem and Gaza. Israel would have annexed 6.3 percent of the West Bank and given the Palestinians an equivalent amount of land inside Israel.
According to Olmert`s memoir, Abbas said he "needed time”, but the two didn`t meet again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16