In quake-hit Chile, UN chief pledges $10 mn
Santiago: UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrived in Chile to assess damage from a devastating earthquake and tsunami, and pledged USD 10 million in relief from a United Nation`s emergency fund.
The secretary-general said the money would be released from the Central Emergency Response Fund to help UN agencies support relief efforts in the wake of the massive 8.8-magnitude quake that killed more than 800 people.
"I am very moved to see such strong courage and resilience of the Chilean people," Ban said upon arrival in the country on Friday.
He met with Chilean President Michelle Bachelet to discuss immediate and long-term needs after the quake, which unleashed a tsunami that washed away entire villages in some of the country`s coastal areas.
The pair later met with Chilean ministers and UN officials working in the country, and Ban was also due to hold talks with president-elect Sebastian Pinera.
The UN chief called on the international community to give generously to Chile, which he said had not held back in donating aid and relief to Haiti after it suffered a January 12 earthquake that killed over 220,000 people.
"Chile has been extraordinarily generous in assisting Haiti in its time of need. Now is the moment for the United Nations and the international community to stand with Chile and its people," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview