In US, India 6th most liked, Pak 3rd most disliked nation
Washington: India is the sixth most favourable nation for Americans, while at least eight out of 10 do not like Pakistan, making it the third most unfavourable nation after Iran and Korea, according to a latest poll.
According to the Gallup Polls, nearly seven (68 percent) out of every 10 persons interviewed for the poll favoured India, thus ranking it sixth after Canada (91 percent), Great Britain (88 percent), Germany (85 percent), Japan (81 percent) and France (73 percent).
In fact Israel, the traditional American ally, ranks seventh after India with 66 percent while Mexico get only 47 percent favourable votes.
Opinion about Russia is equally divided among favourable and unfavourable rating while 52 percent of the Americans put China in the unfavourable category.
Nine out of 10 Americans have an unfavourable view of Iran, making it the worst rated country out of 22 surveyed.
Seven other countries - Libya (72 percent), Iraq (76 percent), Afghanistan (80 percent), the Palestinian Authority (77 percent), Syria (75 percent), Pakistan (81 percent) and North Korea (84 percent) -- also receive unfavourable ratings of 70 percent or more.
"Eight countries with the most negative ratings are currently or over the past decade were involved in wars, disputes, or turmoil -- in a number of instances, in ways that are hostile to the US," Gallup said.
It said the currently "hostile" category includes Iran and North Korea. Libya was hostile toward the US under the government of Muammar Gaddafi and more recently Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed there.
"The US-Pakistani relationship is beset with rockiness despite the strained cooperation between the two on military matters. Americans also strongly favour Israel`s enduring conflict with Palestinian Authority," the survey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand