Inaction over Syria a ‘stain’ on UN: US envoy Susan Rice
United Nations: Outgoing US Ambassador Susan Rice says the UN Security Council`s failure to take action to stop the conflict in Syria is "a moral and strategic disgrace that history will judge harshly."
She said at her final news conference yesterday before starting her new job as US national security adviser on July 1 that the paralysis of the UN`s most important body is "a stain" on the council that she will regret forever even though she maintained that the US and its allies were not responsible.
Rice blamed three double vetoes by Russia and China of resolutions aimed at pressuring Syria`s President Bashar Assad to end the violence, even though they didn`t contain sanctions.
She expressed hope that the Syrian people will ultimately be able to chart their own future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal