Inaction over Syria a ‘stain’ on UN: US envoy Susan Rice
United Nations: Outgoing US Ambassador Susan Rice says the UN Security Council`s failure to take action to stop the conflict in Syria is "a moral and strategic disgrace that history will judge harshly."
She said at her final news conference yesterday before starting her new job as US national security adviser on July 1 that the paralysis of the UN`s most important body is "a stain" on the council that she will regret forever even though she maintained that the US and its allies were not responsible.
Rice blamed three double vetoes by Russia and China of resolutions aimed at pressuring Syria`s President Bashar Assad to end the violence, even though they didn`t contain sanctions.
She expressed hope that the Syrian people will ultimately be able to chart their own future.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference