Inaction over Syria a ‘stain’ on UN: US envoy Susan Rice
United Nations: Outgoing US Ambassador Susan Rice says the UN Security Council`s failure to take action to stop the conflict in Syria is "a moral and strategic disgrace that history will judge harshly."
She said at her final news conference yesterday before starting her new job as US national security adviser on July 1 that the paralysis of the UN`s most important body is "a stain" on the council that she will regret forever even though she maintained that the US and its allies were not responsible.
Rice blamed three double vetoes by Russia and China of resolutions aimed at pressuring Syria`s President Bashar Assad to end the violence, even though they didn`t contain sanctions.
She expressed hope that the Syrian people will ultimately be able to chart their own future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video