India a difficult place to work: US report
Washington: Although Indo-US ties are on a
positive trajectory, India remains a difficult place to work,
with employees of the American mission there facing "health
and security risks, including the threat of terrorism," says
an official report.
"US diplomats` access to Indian officials is tightly
controlled. The process by which the Indian Government
coordinates contacts internally can at times be an obstacle to
broadened government-to-government activity that often
requires high-level intervention to expedite progress," said
the 90-page report of the Office of the Inspector General on
the US diplomatic posts in India.
"Decision-making is cumbersome, and many influential
officials and politicians are wary of a closer relationship
with the United States. Mission employees face health and
security risks, including the threat of terrorism," the
report, which was made public yesterday, said.
It, however, said a conviction is growing among Indian
elites that engaging the United States is necessary for the
success of India`s national interests.
"In recent years the relationship has deepened and
broadened with the civil nuclear cooperation agreement,
security cooperation following the Mumbai terrorist attacks,
and ensuing high-level visits, most importantly President
(Barack) Obama`s visit (to India) in November 2010," the
Observing that today, the US and India collaborate on
nearly every global challenge, from terrorism to energy
security, non-proliferation, piracy and hunger, it said trade,
business, educational and family ties between the United
States and India are on the rise, and the diplomatic
relationship is struggling to keep pace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical