India a strong and functioning democracy: US
Washington: Supporting the rights of the people of India to protest peacefully over corruption, the United States has said that the country is a functioning and a strong democracy.
"The rights of Indians to protest peacefully over corruption or whatever they see fit to protest over, that`s well within their rights and we support that. That`s part of a functioning democracy," the State Department spokesman, Mark Toner said yesterday.
"Indeed, we do view India as a functioning democracy, a strong democracy that has the institutions to look at these kinds of matters internally, domestically and to address them," Toner said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information